02 03 Gallimaufry Grove: So, I'm Doing the Whole30 - Pt.2 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

So, I'm Doing the Whole30 - Pt.2

34


I went into this Whole30 Madness telling myself, "It's 30 days.  Just.Thirty.Days.  I can endure anything for 30 days."  That's what I told myself, but secretly, I was thinking, "This.Will.Be.Brutal.  I am going to die.  Where is my consolation-bag-of-sugar-prize?"  In spite of my doubts, I was also determined.  I don't like to be defeated by a glorified concoction of sugar and dye, otherwise known as a piece of candy.  I want to show all those goodies who's the boss.  So I jumped in with both my feet tied behind my back. Or something like that...

(If you didn't see Part 1, where I tell you what the Whole30 is, why I am doing this to myself and some tips to survive your own Whole30, click here.)

So how did my first week go?  Did I kick the bucket?  Did I eat the bucket? Or did I tell the bucket, "You ain't the boss of me"?

Read on to see my First Week Log.

Week 1


Days 1-3 --  I didn't experience any crazy symptoms of detox or withdrawal like so many others have.  I had some minor bloating (TMI), but that's about it.  I think this is because I have already been eating fairly well, on the whole (If you don't count my late night carb binges, that is).  Besides, I've already done a total sugar detox that lasted well over a year and even cut out fruit, once upon a time, so this isn't my first rodeo.  Nothing could be as bad as that first sugar withdrawal was.  It. Was. Brutal.  But it is also over.  

The first day of the Whole 30, I really wished I could have the sugary things I saw around me, but I didn't need to have them.  Same goes for grains.  I have already gone extended periods without both, I already know how to cook without the forbidden ingredients, and I already knew what I was getting into.  Also, instead of binging on forbidden foods in the days leading up to the Whole 30, I actually started dropping the forbidden foods and upping the fruits, veggies and protein.  So my intro into the Whole 30 was more gradual.  I think that really helped me.  Or I could just be in that first phase they mention in the book -- the "I've totally got this" phase (which is followed by the "I think I'm gonna die" phase).

My biggest concern is Sundays.  It is going to be difficult to stay on track with the Sunday schedule and the limited eating choices available to me on service days.  

Days 4-6 --  Everything has been absolutely fine.  Not great.  Just fine.  I feel satisfied at meals, no major cravings. I have had an occasional light craving for sweets or something like salty chips -- not even a craving, really.  More like an urge.  It's more mental than physical.  It's kind of cool, though, because before the Whole 30, I would have cravings that just wouldn't quit.  This has been so much easier to deal with. Often, the craving/urge just means I need to eat.  My body seems to metabolize the foods I'm eating much more quickly than the grain/sugar heavy food I had slipped into eating.  Note to self:  I need to "refuel" with good protein and produce before I start craving something I don't want to be putting in my body.

On the night of day 4, I got a weird rash on my chest and back.  The rash was almost completely gone by morning.  Weird.  It must have been some kind of detox symptom.    I don't care.  I'm just glad it's gone.

I was pretty tired on day 5.  It must be another detox symptom and couldn't possibly have anything to do with staying up until 2am the night before...Note to self: sleep more. 


Day 7 -- This is the last day of week one.  I am strangely excited about that.  

True Story:  Last night, I dreamed I opened my refrigerator and found one of those store-bought chocolate cakes.  You know -- the ones with an inch of white icing on top.  In my dream, I mindlessly started eating that cake.  By the time I realized what I was doing, I had already eaten half a piece.  I had blown the Whole30.  I would have to start all over.  So I ate some more while I decided if I would actually start over, or if I would just pretend this never happened. (Wasn't that logical of me?). Then I woke up.  You can't imagine the relief I felt when I realized I had NOT blown the Whole 30.  But the weirdest thing is, I don't even really LIKE store-bought cake.  I mean, it's fine in its way, but I can think of a 1001 better ways to blow the Whole30 than store-bought chocolate cake.  Like Chocolate Volcano Cakes, or Creme Brûlée or Gelato...Sigh...  Getting over one's messed-up relationship with food can get weird, folks.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

One week down, 3 weeks and 2 days to go.  Take that, you ugly sugar monster, you.  I don't need you.


What I Ate:

If you are wondering what I ate, I pretty much just ate the following (Not exciting, but doable):

Breakfast:  Smoothie made with 3-4 raw eggs,  1 TBSP grassfed collagen, 1/2 banana, 10 strawberries, 1/3-1/2 cup DIY almond milk or coconut milk & enough water to make the blender happy; a cup of black coffee with a splash of almond milk  (Yes, I know I'm not supposed to have lots of fruit for breakfast and I know it's not ideal to have smoothies, but the ingredients are compliant, it's high protein and I just can't stomach cooked eggs first thing in the morning. Can.Not.)

Lunch:  Big salad with lots of veggies, meat such as grilled chicken breast, salmon or venison, Homemade Whole30 salad dressing (from the Whole30 book) and a green smoothie

Dinner:  Recipes from the Whole30 book (I added non-compliant sides for the hubster and kids).

Snacks:  I choose one of the following: Leftover Whole30 dinners, Apple slices with DIY almond butter, a piece of fruit or veggies


Next week, I will give you Part 3, where I give you the play-by-play of my second week of the Whole30, when things get ugly, and I get even uglier.  Brace yourselves.  It makes week one look like a cake walk.

Have a great day!

Angela

Never miss another post.  Follow Gallimaufry Grove in the sidebar.

Labels:

35 36 37 38