02 03 Gallimaufry Grove: Luscious Lotion Bars 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Luscious Lotion Bars

34

Lotion Bars are a lot of fun.  It's basically like a rub-on moisturizer.  It is a solid at room temperature, but when you rub it on your skin, the heat from your body melts the lotion bar on contact so that it goes on smoothly.  These are great for travel -- especially airplane travel.  It isn't a liquid, so you can't be accused of trying to make a bomb with your spa-kit.  There are perks to making your own skincare, folks.

These are also pretty to put in a gift bag, and since you can make all kinds of shapes, you could make these in fun shapes for kids.  The possibilities are endless.


What You Need: This will make about (6) 2-ounce bars
1/2 cup beeswax
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup shea butter
20-40 drops of Essential Oil  (I used Bergamot, Ylang Ylang and Lavender)
A silicone mold -- I got mine from the candy making section at Hobby Lobby.  Soap making molds will also work.  Or you can just use a muffin pan.


What You Do:
Prep your mold by spraying with a very light coat of nonstick cooking spray.

Dump the beeswax, oil and shea butter in a microwave safe bowl.  Nuke on high for 1 minute at a time, stirring each time, just until they turn to liquid.  Stir in the Essential Oils.

Pour into the molds.  Chill out.  This isn't your mothers kitchen.  As you can see from the picture below, you don't have to worry too much about spills.  I put my mold on a tray to catch the inevitable spills.  Later, when the bars have set, I get to use those spills to "test" my recipe.  Yet another perk of making your own skincare products.

Pop the mold into the fridge to speed the set.  Why wait, right?


I made these to put in gift bags, so I wrapped them in plastic wrap and sealed the wrap with a pretty sticker.


Then I printed out strips of paper with instructions for use and the ingredients.  I wrapped those strips around each lotion bar and they were ready for gifting.


You wouldn't need to do that if you made these for yourself.  I keep extra bars in a bag in my refrigerator.  They will last a long time there.  I just pull out a new one when I need it.  Life is good.



Have a great day!

Angela

Never miss another post!  Follow Gallimaufry Grove in the sidebar!

Labels:

35 36 37 38