02 03 Gallimaufry Grove: My Updated Household Notebook 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

My Updated Household Notebook

34


I have updated household notebook.  Most of it is the same as last year's household notebook, but there are a couple changes.  If you are setting up a household notebook for the first time, or if you are looking for ideas about what to put in one, I take you through mine here.

First, the rings on last year's notebook were way too small.  It was hard to turn the pages.  If I've learned anything over the years, it's that if something is hard to use, it won't be used -- or at least not as much as it should.  This year, I converted to a 4" ring on my 3-ring binder.


The biggest change is the weekly planner and school planner pages.  Last year I used a separate planner for my school plans.  It worked fine, but I was constantly flipping between my weekly planner and my school plans.  I like having everything right in front of me.  It helps me stay on track.  I need to manage my duties as a wife, mother, pastor's wife, homeschooler and blogger.  It's enough to make my head spin if I'm not super careful.  Having it all on one page helps me stay on top of it all.  However, I have never seen a planner that adequately combines those roles.  In fact, I have never seen a planner that INadequately combines those roles.

This year, I designed my own planner pages.  It's completely personalized and probably wouldn't be useful to anyone else in the world, but I will show it to you anyway.  I made it in iNumbers (the Mac equivalent of Excel for Windows).  I am so happy with it.  The only issue is that I have to write very small to fit it all in there.  But then, let me remind you how many roles are combined on these two pages.  I don't think they make paper and binders large enough to allow me to write big.  Sigh...


Not being a computer technical whiz, I haven't figured out how to make it printable yet.  But then, that probably isn't a big issue, since it is so personalized.  Here is a closer look at each page.


 I write the calendar dates in the "day of the week" blocks, and my workout routine above the "day of the week" blocks (My workouts vary between strength training, interval training, yoga and running, so I have to write it down to keep track).  My "To Do" list often spills out of the proper blocks and over to the next page under the Morning and Evening Routines, but I can still see it without having to flip any pages.  And that makes me happy.  Seeing all that work crossed off my To Do list would make me even happier.  Maybe I should skip the work and just cross it all off first thing in the morning.  Imagine what a happy day that would be...  

My next big planning project?  I have ordered all the curriculum for our school next year.  Once it has all arrived, I get to map out the year so that I know how we will finish all those books by the end of the year.  So I will be planning a Preschool, an Elementary School, a Freshman year of High School and Senior High.  Oh, and mapping out a college plan.  It's going to be a busy summer...

Have a great day!

Angela
P.S. -- I don't personally think you have to be this organized in order to have a great homeschool.  My life stays so busy and ministry throws so many curve balls at us that I find it impossible to stay on track if I'm NOT super organized.  I plan in pencil and move things around throughout the year --  nothing is in stone -- but by having a general plan, we are able to stay on track despite the weirdness of our life.  So this is what works for us.  It doesn't mean it is the best way for anyone else.  Just saying...


Labels:

35 36 37 38