02 03 Gallimaufry Grove: Kicking the Sugar Habit -- 6 Month Report 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Kicking the Sugar Habit -- 6 Month Report

34

It's been a little over 6 months since I broke off my relationship with sugar.  You can read about it here and here.  So, was it worth it?  In my opinion, it was very worth it.  It was something I didn't think I could ever do, but it has been half a year since I ate sugar.  (I occasionally eat out and have something made with white flour.  I am sure that there is also some sugar in their recipes.  But I haven't had a dessert that was made with white sugar since January.  I cook with whole grains, dates, fruit and occasionally a little honey or maple syrup, but no white sugar or white flour for this girl.)  At first, it was really hard and I felt deprived at events and parties.  Now I honestly don't.  And I will tell you why I don't.

What Has Going Sugar Free Done for Me?
*I have more energy.
*I eat healthier foods automatically.
*I feel less moody.  Not that I would ever be moody or anything.
*I have an easier time getting out of bed in the morning.
*I think more clearly (Some of you may beg to differ.  You can keep your thoughts to yourself, thank you very much.)
*I won't get into a lot of detail here, but my hormones have balanced out tremendously.  I still have a little way to go, but it is totally manageable now, unlike before.  And things keep getting better.
*I lost 7 pounds without trying.  Before I went off sugar, even strict calorie counting wasn't yielding results.
*Those 7 pounds came from areas that never seem to lose fat, like the belly.
*I just feel better overall.  I can't really pinpoint why, but I feel great.

So there you have it.  All I need to do when I am tempted to eat sugar is think about how bad I felt before.  It is enough to keep me motivated.  And then there is Chocolate Covered Katie's healthy dessert blog to help me when I really must have something sweet.   Although some of her desserts use a bit of sugar, many do not.  It is usually easy to alter a recipe to be sugar free, too.

I can't guarantee that anyone else on the planet would have the results I did.  I just did what I had in my heart.  But I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people would feel better if they at least cut back a bit.

So, what do you think about sugar?  Demon or Angel?  Or both?

Angela

Labels:

35 36 37 38